Skip to content

Jack’s Birth Story


AKA: The day I threw F bombs like nobody’s business.

Until that epidural…God bless modern medicine!

POP!  I woke up at 4:30 am on Saturday morning when I felt a poke and heard a pop.  And then the water came.

I thought to myself “Is this my water breaking or lack of bodily control, again??”  I got up to RUN to the bathroom with my hands holding my underwear (like that was stopping the flow) and sure enough, it was my water breaking.  Now, it wasn’t like the movies where a massive flood ensues, but it was enough to realize that it wasn’t just me peeing my pants, yet again.  I went over to the bed and woke up Geoff.  “My water broke.”

“Are you sure it was your water this time?”

“Yes.  It’s time.  Sorry but I don’t think you’re going to make it to your golf tournament today and we’re going to miss our dinner in Palm Springs” (so much for checking that off our November Bucket List ha!)

I took a shower to wash my hair and shave my legs.  Who knows when I’ll have the luxury of taking a shower again?  We ate waffles and headed over to the hospital around 6:30am.

I was admitted around 7am and placed in a delivery room and hooked up by 7:30am.  And then the waiting game began.  We put John Coltrane on Pandora.  My mother and mother-in-law arrived.  My friend Adriana stopped in.  I felt like a pro!  With every contraction I was using my yoga breathing and having conversations with everyone.  I even wanted my friend Tawney to swing by to visit since she was expecting her little one in a couple weeks.

Well, visitors would have to wait.  At around 5 centimeters dilated, I started experiencing the worst pain I’ve ever experienced in my life.  Fear got the best of me and I started hyperventilating!  My hands and fingers were freezing up on me and I started feeling faint.  The F bombs were non stop!  I got an epidural about 40 minutes later and let me tell you…LIFE CHANGING.

Because of my heart valve the nurses were very watchful of me not pushing to my max.  I’m proud to say that even with my artificial heart valve I was able to deliver Jack vaginally.  After 13 hours of labor, it was time to push.  I remember pushing and thinking “this is the one!” but it was never the one push to get him out.

However, after a short break, some pitocin, and the help of Geoff, my mom, and the support of the doctor and my mother-in-law, at 5:30pm, with one last deep breath in my old life, I delivered Jack and began a whole new journey.

I became a mom on November 14, 2015.

“I could do this again!” were the words that came out of my mouth immediately following.  It was the epidural speaking.

All in all, my labor and delivery was a very enjoyable experience.   I felt like it went by so fast.  Everyone else present that day has a different opinion.  I can’t believe I gave birth to our son.  It’s one of the most rewarding and amazing experiences of my life.  Seeing my family with tears of joy in their eyes, watching Geoff look at our baby.

I would do it again.

Now recovery is a different story for a different time.  I’m singing a different tune these days!  But once the postpartum recovery has subsided I’d love to share my experience with hopes of helping others not feel so alone.

But staring at my boy makes it all worth it.

Published inFamily and FriendsHeart to Heart

2 comments on “Jack’s Birth Story

  1. This is beautiful!! <3

  2. Wouldn’t have had it any other way! Thanks you so much for the precious gift!
    I love you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

HTML tags are not allowed.